Welcome to our blog! Today, we are excited to share with you one of Spain’s most iconic and beloved dishes – the Tortilla Española, also known as Spanish Tortilla. This delightful dish is a classic Spanish omelette made with eggs, potatoes, and onions, resulting in a flavorful and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Whether you’re new to Spanish cuisine or a seasoned foodie, this recipe is sure to impress your taste buds and transport you to the vibrant streets of Spain.
– 4 medium-sized potatoes
– 1 large onion
– 6 large eggs
– Olive oil
– Optional: 1 red bell pepper, sliced
1. Start by peeling the potatoes and cutting them into thin slices. You can use a mandoline slicer for even and uniform slices, or a sharp knife if you prefer a rustic texture.
2. Thinly slice the onion and, if you’re adding a bell pepper, slice it as well.
3. In a large non-stick skillet, heat a generous amount of olive oil over medium heat. Add the potatoes, onions, and bell pepper (if using) to the pan, and season with salt to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and lightly golden, about 10-15 minutes.
4. While the potatoes are cooking, crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk them together until well beaten.
5. Once the potatoes are done, remove them from the skillet using a slotted spoon, allowing any excess oil to drain off. Transfer the potatoes to the bowl with the beaten eggs and gently mix everything together.
6. In the same skillet, remove any excess oil and heat a tablespoon of fresh olive oil over medium heat. Pour the potato and egg mixture into the skillet, spreading it evenly with the back of a spoon.
7. Cook the tortilla for about 4-5 minutes, or until the edges are set and golden. To flip the tortilla, place a large plate over the skillet and carefully invert it onto the plate. Then, slide the tortilla back into the skillet and continue cooking for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until the center is set.
8. Once cooked to your liking, remove the tortilla from the skillet and let it cool slightly before cutting it into wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature, and enjoy this Spanish delicacy with a side of crusty bread and a fresh salad.
There you have it – a delicious and authentic Tortilla Española recipe that will transport your taste buds to the heart of Spain. Whether you’re hosting a brunch, preparing a quick weeknight dinner, or simply exploring new flavors, this Spanish Tortilla is a versatile and satisfying dish that is sure to impress. So, gather your ingredients and get ready to embark on a culinary journey to the sunny streets of Spain!